The County Club of Worcestershire was established in 1903, with it’s first inaugural meeting being held in Birmingham on 21st January 1903. Clubs involved in this meeting were Worcestershire, Kings Norton, Blackwell and Hagley (Stourbridge) with discussions around forming a County Club in Worcestershire. Letters were sent to 17 Ladies Golf Clubs throughout the County informing them of the resolutions of the meeting and inviting them to join. It was agreed there would be an annual members subscription of 5/-. Today this would be equivalent to £31.01.
In November 1903 a total of 22 ladies had joined the Club:-
Worcestershire LGC 11 joined
Kings Norton 5 joined
Hagley (Stourbridge) 2 joined
Blackwell 2 joined
Worcester 1 joined
Tenbury 1 joined
Kidderminster, Harbourne, Droitwich, Evesham and Moseley wrote wishing the County Club success whilst Redditch, Pershore, Dudley, Kings Heath, Broadway and Bromsgrove did not reply.
On 19th February 1904 the first AGM was held at 7 St Swithens St in Worcester. The Club minutes show the name was changed to The Worcestershire Ladies County Golf Club. This name remained the same for a further 48 years when in 1952 the name changed to The Worcester Ladies County Golf Association (WLCGA).
Our first County President was The Countess of Dudley who, in 1903, consented to allow her crest to be used as part of our County badge. A few years later in 1905 Club uniforms were chosen and it was agreed the colours would closely follow that of the County badge . Whilst the County uniform isn’t, thankfully, quite the same style today our County colours remain in the original chosen colours of green serge, black and white .
Today we have evolved to form an Executive Committee ( mention something about President and executive committee) with 38 affiliated clubs, a membership of approximately 1850 ladies and with Club Delegates who meet four times a year. The Delegates form a valuable link between their Clubs and the County Executive being able to vote on behalf of the ladies they represent.
Note: This history has been written using information collated from A Hundred Years of Ladies’ Golf in Worcestershire by Sylvia James (Hon. Secretary 2000 - 2001) This as documented in the Worcestershire Ladies County Ladies Golf Association, Centenary booklet 1903 - 2003.